is the oldest national historic site in Canada, designated in
1917. The 1702 earthworks are the earliest Canadian example of
a Bauban-style fort. This was the most attacked site in Canadian
history. Over 3000 years ago the Mi'kmaq used the site as a stopping
place in their voyages. In the 1600s and 1700s, the site was the
center of early European colonization.